1 strict adherence to traditional methods or teachings [syn: traditionality]
2 adherence to tradition (especially in cultural or religious matters)
3 the doctrine that all knowledge was originally derived by divine revelation and that it is transmitted by traditions
- The adherence to traditional views or practices, especially with regard to cultural or religious matters
Traditionalism may refer to:
- The systematic emphasis on the value of Tradition.
- The Traditionalist School of thought, an esoteric movement espoused by René Guénon, Frithjof Schuon et al. See also Radical Traditionalism.
- Catholic Traditionalism, a current within Roman Catholicism.
- Carlism, a Spanish political movement in the 19th and 20th century.
- Traditionalist world view (American), a world view associated with American cultural conservativism.
- The Traditionalist School in 20th century Dutch architecture.
- A current in music, exemplified by Ralph Shapey.
traditionalism in German: Traditionalismus
Mishnah, Spiritus Mundi, Sunna, Talmud, accommodation, accord, accordance, acquiescence, adaptation, adaption, adjustment, agreement, ancient wisdom, archetypal myth, archetypal pattern, authenticity, authoritativeness, canonicalness, canonicity, common law, compliance, conformance, conformation other-direction, conformity, congruity, consistency, conventionality, correspondence, custom, flexibility, folk motif, folklore, folktale, gospel truth, harmony, immemorial usage, keeping, legend, line, lore, malleability, myth, mythology, obedience, observance, orthodoxicalness, orthodoxism, orthodoxness, orthodoxy, pliancy, racial memory, reconcilement, reconciliation, religious truth, right belief, rightness, soundness, strictness, the truth, tradition, traditionality, uniformity